Thursday, February 15, 2007

Week 6 Thing 14

Hello again! Well I did play with Technorati and I must say that I liked searching by the tags the best. It got me to the info I wanted without having to scan through other blogs that were about web 2.0 etc. Though the blog posts search screen did have a handy little directory that got me to learning 2.0 stuff fairly easily, and I liked that. Unfortunately, ADD eyes went straight to the blogs at first and didn't even see the directory. Not Technoratis fault, I just saw blogs and skipped right over the important stuff. The blog directory was o.k., but you still had to sort through all the listed blogs and many of them weren't about learning 2.0. You did get the shortened version and were able to see the tags so that helped. I still think I'd pick one of the other two search choices over the directory.

I also hit the "popular" area and had fun with the piano playing cat video and with Boing Boing.

Tagging seems like a decent option for "acquiring subject headings" for the "cataloging of materials" in the blogging world. Depending on how you search, it can give you blogs you don't want because it doesn't search as a phrase, strictly as individual keywords. Also what you would tag something, might not be what someone else would tag it. I think they need to turn on the "bat signal" and get "super cataloger" in there to clean all that up. You know "able to create order out of chaos with a single subject heading" ;)

No comments: